Sep 12, 2012 8:13pm
List of Films to be Watched
A LIST OF MOVIES v1.0
I've written a little about each of these, pick and choose whichever ones
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This list is by no means complete. I plan to add many more
-Battleship Potemkin (1925) - Eisenstein. ussr propaganda film. known as one of best propaganda film ever. Also film which created "montage" which we see in every film now
-Chinatown (1974) - Polanski. a really great film. very "Polanski"
-8 1/2 (1963) - One of Fellini's masterpieces. Lots of surrealism
-La Dolce Vita (1961) - one of felini's masterpieces, but without surrealism
-La Strada (1954) - one of fellini's earlier films very easy to understand and wonderful
-2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Very high quality science fiction. Really captures the essence of what sci fi is.
-Moon (2009) - Best sci fi film of this era. Good science. Good fiction. Thoughtful
-Grindhouse (2007) - two movies, Planet Terror by robert rodriguez and Death Proof by Tarantino. fake trailers were made of the showing that are needed for the full experience. Death Proof pays homage to Vanishing Point "1970 white dodge challenger with a 440 engine"
- Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959) - very deep and amazing, best script of any movie ive seen
-Jackie Brown (1997) - Tarantino film, least violent of all his films and very unique
-Machete (2010) - Robert Rodruiguez full movie from one of the fake trailers from grindhouse
-Mean Streets (1973) - Scorcese with DeNiro and Keitel made before Taxi driver.
-Pather Panchali (1955) - very low budget film made in very poor part of india. very amazing actors. very emotional movie.
-Rashomon (1950) - great great kurosawa film
-Seven Samurai (1954) - Kurosawa masterpiece. a landmark in film
-The Fall (2006) - Very bizarre and original great child actress. one of the only movies where both plots are very good and connected.
-The Lives of Others (2006) - German movie about east berlin and stasi
-The Poseidon Adventure (1972) - Very cool disaster movie
-The Third Man (1949) - Great Orson Wells movie
-The Usual Suspects (1995) - trill
-Life is Beautiful (1997) - Very beautiful and emotional. a movie to laugh and cry
-Pulp Fiction (1994) - Tarantino's masterpiece
-Resevoir Dogs (1992) - Tarantino's first film. Gruesome, shocking, funny, exciting, classy
-Kill Bill (Vol 1&2) - Tarantino's closest thing to an epic poem
-El Mariachi (1992) - Robert Rodriguez's first film. made on 7000$ in mexico, most of the cast were the crew. box office 2million$
-A Chinese Ghost Story (1987) - Falls under many many categories of movies. very cool and bizarre and great fun
-Battle of Algiers (1966) - fictional based on the revolution in Algiers. wonderful must see
-African Queen (1951) - John Huston film. Funny and great character evolution of Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepbern
-Beat the Devil (1953) - John Huston film, Humphrey Bogart, again great character interactions
-Rules of the Game (1939) - Jean Renoir. fantastic look at upper class and war. amazing character interactions
-The Grand Illusion (1937) - Jean Renoir, WWI brilliant film
-Breathless (1960) - Godard beginning of French New Wave. Truffaut co-wrote
-Pierrot le Fou (1965) - Godard kind of bizarre film but very interesting and fantastic color
-Antoine Doinel Series (1959- 1979) focuses on the life of one character. played by same actor. very much reflects truffaut himself
1. The 400 Blows (1959) truffaut's first and probably best film, also beginning of French New Wave
2. Antoine and Colette (1962) 30 min short film by truffaut for the collection Love at 20
3. Stolen Kisses (1968)
4. Bed and Board (1970)
5. Love on the Run (1979)
-Jules and Jim (1962) - Truffaut bizarre love film
-Wild Child (1970) - truffaut great emotional child acting
-Small Change (1976) - better translated as Pocket Money. another truffaut film with child actors
-Vanishing Point (1971) - Greatest car chase movie, not fantastic film but pretty trill.
-The Bicycle Thief (1948) - Italian film with all non actors, very beautiful film
-Metropolis (1927) - best silent film, beginning of science fiction. german
-La Jetee (1962) - very very low budget film. film makers rented out a camara for one afternoon to make it. 99% still photos
-Twelve Monkeys (1995) - Terry Gilliam based off of La Jetee but very terry gilliam
-Sweetgrass (2009) - very slow paced documentary with very long shots, no narration, interviews or music. gives viewer space to think and absorb the film
-Yuriy Nershteyn - my personal favorite animator ever. soviet russian jew, watch all of his films, all under 30 mins or so. especially these:
1. Hedgehog in the Fog (1975) very very beautiful and sweet and magical. 10 mins. won: 1976—Frunze All-Union Film Festival: "best animated film",1976—Tehran Children's and Youth Film Festival: "best animated film", 2003—Tokyo All time best 150 in Japan and worldwide: "No.1 Animated film of all the time"
2. Tale of Tales (1979) - absolutely exquisite film 30 mins. will blow you away trill as fuuuuuuck. won: 1980--Lille (France) International festival of films: Jury Grand Prize, 1980--Zagreb world festival of animated films: Grand Prize, Ottawa (Canada) International Animation Festival: Best Film Longer than Three Minutes Award, 1984-- Los Angeles Olympic Arts Festival: voted by large international jury to be The Greatest Animated Film of All Time, 2002-- Zagreb World Festival of Animated Films: again voted by large international jury to be The Greatest Animated Film of All Time
This post was modified by SpacemanTheg on 2012-09-12 23:15:56
This post was modified by SpacemanTheg on 2012-09-13 03:08:58
This post was modified by SpacemanTheg on 2012-09-13 03:11:03
This post was modified by SpacemanTheg on 2012-09-13 03:13:26 Attachment: Movie_list.rtf